It's important that we continue to raise awareness and reduce stigma around suicide. Suicide prevention remains a local and a global challenge which is highlighted by the statistics below:
In the year 2018, 6054 people took their own lives in Britain (increase of 11.8% since 2017).
Suicide is among the top 20 leading causes of death globally for people of all ages.
In the UK, suicide is the leading cause of death in 20-34 yrs old and 35-49 year olds.
For every 1 person that takes their own life, 287 people in the UK are contemplating it (www.samaratins.org).
Suicide is preventable, but helping to prevent suicide in your workplace and in your community starts by knowing the warning signs and knowing where to get help. If you or someone you know is suffering, there is help out there.
+ Prevention Helplines
- Papyrus - Prevention of Young Suicide | www.papyrus-uk.org - 0800 068 4141
- Samaritans | www.samaritans.org - 116 123
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) | www.thecalmzone.net - 0800 58 58 58 (5pm to midnight)
- Mind | www.mind.org.uk - 0300 123 3393
- Maytree | www.maytree.org.uk - 020 7263 7070
- Elefriends | www.elefriends.org.uk
- CALM (Men only) | www.thecalmzone.net - 0800 58 58 58
- Childline | www.childline.org.uk - 0800 1111 Prevention
+ Support Helplines
- Support After Suicide Partnership | www.supportaftersuicide.org.uk
- Liverpool Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide | www.uksobs.org - 07840 273 803
- Wirral Cruse Bereavement Care | www.cruse.org.uk - 0151 645 6604
- Amparo Support Following Suicide | 0330 088 9255
- Survivors of Bereavment by Suicide | 0300 111 5065
- Suicide Bereaved Network | www.sbnwk.org.uk - 0300 999 0003