Housing Benefits/Universal Credit

Many residents are able to claim Housing Benefit/Universal Credit to help to pay their rent. If you are on low income or in receipt of a pension or welfare benefits, you may be entitled to claim. The amount of the benefit depends on your income, size of your family and the amount of rent you pay.

Depending on whether you’re a resident of Prima PHA, Prima Wirral or Prima Commercial, you may only be eligible for certain benefits or services. For welfare benefits advice, please see below or contact your Income Officer.

If your income or family circumstances change, it is important that you notify the Housing Benefit Office or DWP immediately. Application forms are available online. If you need help completing these, please contact your Income Officer.

Once you have applied for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, it’s important to respond promptly to any contacts from them as there is a risk your benefits will not be paid. If this happens, you will be responsible for arrears occurring on your rent account.

Welfare Reform Changes

under occupancy charge

This is a change to benefits that means you will receive less if you live in a property that has one or more spare bedrooms. Having one spare bedroom means you will lose 14% of your entitlement. Having two or more spare bedrooms, will mean you lose 25%. You can find out more about how this may affect you on the Citizens Advice website.

Benefit cap

Under this change, the total amount of benefit that can be received becomes a set amount called the benefit cap. For more advice on how this may affect you, information can be found here.

Universal Credit

You can find out more about Universal Credit here.


RAISE are an independent charity that give free, confidential, high quality advice on welfare benefits, debt, and money guidance issues.

Their advice is given by home visits throughout Merseyside. They will visit anyone who is a tenant of Prima Group. RAISE will also represent clients at tribunal hearings.

This is a great free service for tenants to use to help them manage their finances.

Wirral Development Trust

WDT are an independent charity that provide welfare benefit advice services to those living on the Wirral as well as running a local job club.

Credit Unions

Credit unions are financial co-operatives owned and controlled by their members. They offer savings and great value loans plus they are local, ethical and know what their members want. Many credit unions now offer a range of services including a current account, benefits direct, ISAs and Child Trust Funds.

Each credit union has a “common bond” which determines who can join it and become a member. The common bond may be for people living or working in the same area, people working for the same employer or people who belong to the same association, such as a church or trade union.

Click here to find credit unions in your area. You just need to enter your postcode to find ones nearby.