As a tenant you have rights and duties and when you moved into your home you signed a Tenancy Agreement and agreed to abide by certain conditions.
What are your rights?
- We cannot evict you or move you from your home without a good reason
- We will provide a maintenance and repairs service
- We will ask you about decisions which will affect your home
- We will consult you about housing management decisions which will affect you or change your tenancy agreement
- You can take in lodgers if you have our written permission
- If you want to exchange your home with another tenant, you can do so, but there are certain conditions that you must meet
- You can see information about you which we keep at the office
- In some cases, a partner or relative who is living with you can take over your tenancy if you die
What are your Duties?
Your tenancy agreement will explain your duties in more detail. For example, you must not:
- Owe rent
- Harass other people, including someone who lives with you
- Use your home for illegal purposes
- Be convicted of any drugs related offences
- Make a false statement to get your tenancy; or
- Damage or neglect your home (you must do the repairs you are responsible for)
- You are responsible for the purchase of any alley gate keys – get in touch with Liverpool City Council on 0151 233 3000
If you are breaking a condition of your tenancy agreement your tenancy is at risk and we can apply to the court for a Possession Order to evict you.
Get in touch
To request a copy of your tenancy agreement, please contact your Housing Officer.